Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Story of My Life - Day 8

Link up here!



Day 8, Wednesday: A piece of advice you have for others. Anything at all.
___________________________________________________________________________

If you aren't yet married, or even if you are, read the book He's Just Not That Into You (not the movie, the book).  It totally changed my perspective on relationships.  I dated one crappy guy after another, and always made excuses for why they never called, why they weren't honest about certain things, etc.  While the book is humorous, I think there are a lot of good tips for dating.  Like, if he's married, he's just not that into you. 

Ladies...don't date a married man!  That's bad juju (or however you spell it), and he will likely cheat on you.  If a man doesn't call, he's just not that into you.  If my husband can find time to call me in a remote location in Iraq, your man can find time to call you on a business trip.

And lastly, it taught me that I need to put myself first in a new relationship.  I would recommend that everyone pick five or so non-negotiables and stick with them.  I always said it was fine if my guy didn't want to go to church with me, but Joel and I are both Catholic, and it's nice to grow spiritually together.  I always said it's fine if a guy smokes because he has that right.  But I always hated kissing an ashtray.

And lastly, if a guy's not right for you, then there's someone else out there.  Someone that is a better fit for you.  Don't be with a man and expect that they'll change intricate parts of their personality just because they are with you.  Believe me, I kissed a lot of frogs before I met Joel.

I am by no means an expert on relationships.  And we are not perfect by any means; he still grates on my nerves at times, I will admit that I have never been happier with a man in my life.  And we all deserve that, ladies.  Don't sell yourself short.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember finding that book when I was all angsty and teenagery...changed my life. I had to keep reading it to remind myself to lose the losers. Until I met my husband I had horrible taste in boys so unfortunately it took a while to learn the lesson. But I agree, the book is great!