Friday, December 20, 2013

This Christmas

You know...I think I am going to like this Christmas.  Usually people are stressed to the max during this time of the year.  Did they buy the right gifts, are they going to make their travel plans, will there be inclement weather, etc.  I see it everywhere.  But I have a holiday rule that we are sticking to, and I couldn't be happier.  I will only travel during one major holiday a year.  Since we went to see my family for Thanksgiving, we are staying put for Christmas. 

Selfish?  Maybe, but I'm ok with that.  I love the comfort of my own home and my own schedule and, if I'm being honest, I like Joel all to myself.  Anyone at anytime is invited to spend the holidays with us, but my mother-in-law just had knew replacement surgery and my mom is too stubborn to travel, so, we have a holiday for two planned (plus the pets, of course).

I love my family, and Joel's, but honestly?  I'm looking forward to a little downtime, just the two of us.  It's been a while since we've had any.  Gifts have been bought and delivered for family, so there's no stress there.  I'll just focus on making a nice little dinner for the two of us, Midnight Mass, and (hopefully) sleeping in.  Sounds fantastic, doesn't it?  I think so, too.

So whatever you're doing...be merry, and be kind.  I've noticed the holiday stress getting to people, but my advice is just to go back to the basics, and not worry over the little things this holiday season.


3 comments:

Amanda said...

Good for you! This is awful to say, but I'm not looking forward to moving back to the states and having to deal with the holidays. Having divorced parents plus in-laws makes it soooo stressful! Hubs says we'll just take a vacation every year over Christmas...works for me! ;)

Anonymous said...

Plus it's so expensive to travel during the holidays. It's ridiculous how much the prices get jacked up.

Jen said...

Part of me wished we had stayed home for Christmas because normally we are stressed seeing all of our families but this year it has been easy so far. Merry Christmas!