Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Love Is All You Need

I am so on love with "love."  I'm a hopeless romantic, and single or taken, I've always been a big fan of Valentine's Day.  Sadly, I married a man that thinks it's nothing more than a Hallmark Holiday.  I say, "so what" to that, as just about every holiday has become about cards and gifts nowadays, rather than its true meaning.  But, we've compromised, and decided that we won't do anything big, but we will always take time out for "us" and at least plan a dinner out or something else that's simple.

Friday I planned a quick drive to Indiana to drop my sister off, and then pop right back in plenty of time to make our dinner reservations.  I was off of work thanks to my wonderful compressed schedule, and thought it would be a good use for my time off.  Right?  Well, old man winter didn't think so.

About halfway there, it started to snow.  It wasn't supposed to start until 2pm, It started, oh...around 10am-ish.  Indy expected 1 to 3 inches, but had at least 3 or 4 by the time I started back.  It was slushy and icy, and people were being reckless.  I saw, once I started counting, 26 cars on the side of the road.  My car was literally in park on the interstate on the way back for at least 90 minutes.  My 3 and 1/2 hour drive coming back took over six hours, plus the extra time it took to drive there.  We missed our dinner reservation, and I was so bummed. 

Joel had quite the nice surprise for me, however.  He got a tiny bouquet of flowers, the cutest card and sign ever, and made me dessert (an inside joke from our first date.  It was perfect.  We had a simple dinner at home, and went to bed early.  It was simple, but ended up being a wonderful Valentine's Day.  We ended up going out to dinner on Sunday and avoiding the crowds.  Sometimes, I really just love this man.



5 comments:

Jen said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate!! :)

jackie jade said...

ah that sucks about the weather and the extra long drive. but still sounds like you had a nice evening :)
-- jackie - jade and oak

Unknown said...

That is too bad about the weather, at least you are safe! I feel the same way about Valentine's. :) Love it!

Katiellirb said...

That sounds like a perfect valentines date to me! Joel is such a sweetheart! :)

Anonymous said...

Aww, that's a great surprise to come home to. Glad you got home safely!