Friday, February 28, 2014

Five on Friday

Happy Friday, peeps!  I am so excited this wonderful day is finally hear.  And I happen to have Monday off from work.  Double score!  Well, as long as we don't get the ice storm they are predicting.  If we do, there's a strong possibility I won't leave my house on Monday. We'll see!?


1.  Tonight, thanks to my awesome former advisor at my Graduate University, I will be meeting with Temple Grandin for a small group Q&A session.  Don't know who she is?  Google her!  She's a fascinating woman.  They even made a movie about her starring Claire Danes.  It's a great film.  anyways...the session is supposed to be for current students, but she knew how interested I'd be, so she got me a seat.  Then, we will hear her speak later in the evening.  I am so stoked!


2.  Tomorrow, I talked a friend into going to a girls' night out exercise class at a local studio. . It's called "Stiletto Sculpt."  I understand I'm not "sexy" in any way, and I'm sure my skills will be quite comical, but it just sounds so fun!  Plus, I need to reach out to my inner girly-girl.  She's been absent a while.  I basically begged everyone I know to go, and only got one lonely victim taker.  I'm sure we'll have a blast, though.


3.  Speaking of girly things, I spontaneously booked a weekend away is Seattle for June with a friend of mine.  Joel's been a hundred times, but I never had, and I'm in serious need of some time away.  Joel's always my preferred travel buddy, but I'm really looking forward to the trip.  My friend lives in Denver, and even though we've known each other for years, we have never met.  The internet's a crazy thing.  She was in the military, and that's how we made the connection.  Funny enough, she lived in Chicago until about a month before we moved to STL.  With this move to Korea, we realized it was probably now or never.  Now, I just have to figure out what to do!


4.  I'm still trying to come to terms with this move.  We have the tentative Command Sponsorship (which is what allows me to go with my husband), so now I have medical exams and mental health exams to take to ensure I'm not crazy or dying.  I wonder if they give those same exams when we leave Korea?!  Because I may be certifiable if I don't find employment ASAP.  I'm looking at teaching on base (which isn't likely because I am only licensed to teach special education, which they have minimal positions for), English as a Second Language (ESL) to the Koreans (and I have no idea where to start), or being an adjunct professor at one of the local Universities (which I'm not sure I have a good shot at).  I'd also be very interested in finding a similar government position, but there has not been one opening since I have started looking.


5.  Lastly...less than a month until my cruise.  Eek!  Mexico, here I come!


3 comments:

Jen said...

What an amazing experience you will have meeting Temple Grandin, she is an inspiration to so many!

Anonymous said...

I love Seattle! It's so much fun to visit. If you need ideas, my friend and her boyfriend blog about things to do there. http://seattlebloggers.com/

Katiellirb said...

Yay!!!! So glad your sponsorship came through. I cannot even believe that wasn't a possibility!! Also, totally jealous of your getaway to Seattle! If baby bear wasn't in the mix, I'd totally crash your party!