Monday, February 7, 2011

Maldives Monday! No. 1

So, I enjoyed my trip to the Maldives so much, I decided that I would make a weekly post about it in order to share the details.  Our wedding was so small and intimate, which was perfect for me, but it didn't leave a lot to talk about, so I will make it all about the honeymoon!

(One of the islands of the Maldives, from the plane)

First off, a little about our location.  The Maldives are a bunch of little islands located in the Indian Ocean near Sri Lanka.  Being that we live in Europe for the time being, we didn't want to go to the Caribbean or Hawaii for our honeymoon (although I still hope to visit both places!) because we figured for the same amount of money, we could go somewhere that we wouldn't be able to afford to go to in the U.S.  I literally googled "where do Europeans go to the beach" and it came up with a resort in the Maldives.  We looked into it at the travel agency on base, and from the states to there would have been twice as expensive!  So, we decided that we would make that our location since from Germany it would be on the cheap!  We discovered that December and January are peak season to go, and thought that a honeymoon to the beach in the middle of winter sounded perfect!

(Many of the islands in the Maldives!)

There are many resorts in the Maldives, and there is only one per island.  With all of the research we did (thanks TripAdvisor!) and based on the amenities, we chose Meeru.  Meeru had an all-inclusive option, which we really liked.  We didn't want to have to worry about prices of the food, and how much this cost versus that, and it really met all of our needs.  It had an adults only pool, snorkeling excursions, and other things to do.  Plus, they had what was really important to me, bungalows over the ocean!  It was perfect.  We booked it way in advance, although not any cheaper, and had to wait it out.  But man, it was totally worth it!  Stay tuned for the next Maldives Monday!  And if you have any questions, just let me know!  I will answer them for the next segment.

1 comment:

Brittney said...

Can't wait to hear more about it!