Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Easy Pear Cobbler

So, food blogger I am definitely not, but I do occasionally try to turn on my domestic skills at home.  I have been under so much stress lately, and I just wanted some comfort food to ease the pain.

I ate at this Southern Style cafeteria in STL, and they had the most phenomenal pear cobbler that I
have ever had.  Well, it was the only pear cobbler, but I love pears, and it was amazing.  So, I decided to give it a try.  I consulted Southern Food and found a recipe by Diana Rattray.

The ingredients are:

- 2 to 2 1/2 cups sliced fresh pears (I used four)

- 2 cups sugar, divided (fancy way of saying in separate cups)
- 4 ounces butter (or one stick)
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg


Just remember, I told you I'm no food blogger, so the pictures are going to be fairly sub par.  The directions:

- Mix pears with 1 cup sugar and let stand.
- Put butter in 2-quart casserole and place in 325° oven until melted. (I just microwaved in dish, and it was fine)
- Combine all dry ingredients, including the remaining 1 cup of sugar. Mix well.
- Whisk together the milk and egg; slowly combine with dry ingredients to make a batter. Pour over melted butter. Do not stir.
- Spoon pears over the batter. Do not stir. Bake at 325° for 50 to 60 minutes, or until nicely browned and pears are tender.

The verdict?  It wasn't exactly cobbler per se, but it was tasty.  it came out softer, almost like pear cake, and I admit I'd prefer the crunchy cobbler taste.  I would also recommend using less sugar on the pears.  They were super sweet!  But, overall I will count this as a baking success.  Joel even liked it so much he didn't want to share it with the guys at work, like we normally do.



No comments: