Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Dog Days of summer Are Over...


Although fall doesn’t officially start until next weekend, let’s face it:  summer is over.  I turned my air conditioner off (although it is still staying fairly warm in the afternoons), and a sweater made its first non work appearance.  I’m excited, though, because fall is my favorite season.  I love wearing (and getting) my fall boots for the season, hot tea in the evenings, and the ever eventful return of Starbucks’ Pumpkin Spice Latte.  Oh, be still my heart!

So we wrapped up “our” summer over Labor Day weekend with a fun day that is sure to be a new tradition.  One of the local towns had a dog swim at the public pool on the last day of the season.  They close it to human swimmers at 5pm, and then lets the pet families have at it.  Pugsley, aka the old man, loves to swim.  His body isn’t proportionally great for swimming (he takes after his mommy with a few extra pounds around the middle), and without assistance he would sink like an anchor.  Luckily, PetSmart came to the rescue a few years ago with their doggie life jackets.  The perfect thing for our little puggies! 

We had both the boys suited up (so to speak) and ready to go.  And…they loved it!  There were about 30 or so pets there with their families, and very few little guys like ours.  Pugsley ran around like he was a young pup again, and Gomez made a ton of new pool friends.  They had a blast!  Do any of your areas do this?  I don’t remember Indianapolis ever doing this when I was living there, but I hope it’s a trend that will follow us from base to base.


Here’s a picture of the boys swimming together.  Can’t wait for next year!

3 comments:

Angie said...

A town I lived in for a few years did this for the dogs. One of mine loved it, the other did not. I love that cities will allow the furry members of the family to enjoy a bit of summer fun.

Katiellirb said...

Couldn't agree more - I LOVE FALL! Cannot wait to get my tall boots out! And OMG, how cute with the life preserver! Glad both your boys had fun! :)

Why Girls Are Weird said...

I am so happy it's fall, sleeping with the cool air is AMAZING.