Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Fourth of July

So, I am going to be Debbie Downer for a second.  Wanna know what my least favorite holiday is?  The Fourth of July.  I believe that it has lost all significant meaning to most of America.  I posted something on my FB to this extent and then quickly deleted it because I have many other fellow military spouses and service members on my page, and usually the military at least recognizes the day for what it is.  This day marks the day of our country’s independence.  We fought for freedom, and won.  We were on mark to become one of the greatest nations that the world had ever seen, and many men, women, and families gave up everything they had in pursuit of that freedom.  So to all past, present, and future persons that truly believe and fought for that concept, thank you.

Has anyone watched “Newsroom” yet on HBO?  If not, and you can, do.  It is one of the most intelligent shows I have seen in quite some time.  And they said it perfectly.  When the main character was asked why America was the greatest country in the world he said:  “it’s not, but it could be.”  Truer words were never spoken.

It’s not about fireworks.  And even though fireworks were banned in my town this year because of the extreme heat/dryness that could lead to potential disaster (and home did catch on fire because people refused to listen), drunken neighbors thought that the day would be incomplete if they didn’t shoot them off until midnight.  Those that had to work today (like myself) and parents of little ones, I am sure, didn’t appreciate that.  And people, don’t complain because it falls on a Wednesday and you’re not going to get a long weekend.  That’s not the point.  And don’t settle for complacency in your everyday life.  Strive to make America great again, and if you do, God Bless you and your families.  We are America, and honestly, I believe our forefathers would be disappointed in the state we allowed our country to be in.  But, I believe in the concept, and still have hope that we will one day become the greatest nation on earth.

End rant and rambling.

1 comment:

Meghan said...

I am OBSESSED with The Newsroom (well, anything Aaron Sorkin) and I was BLOWN AWAY by those first five minutes. I couldn't agree with you more!